Islamist terrorist group, Boko Haram group, has reportedly released about twenty-one of the abducted Chibok schoolgirls to the Nigerian authorities.
In April 2014, the terrorists abducted over 200 girls from their dormitory in Girls Government Secondary School in Chibok, Borno State.
According to SaharaReporters, the girls were picked up by military helicopter from Banki area of the state where the terrorist group dropped them off earlier on Thursday, October 13, 2016.
Calls put across to the Nigerian Army spokesperson, Colonel Sani Usman went unanswered. However, response to a text message forwarded to him is still being awaited as at the time this report was filed.
The Nigerian presidency has confirmed that following negotiations between the federal government and Boko Haram, 21 Chibok schoolgirls have been released and are now in the custody of the country’s secret police, the Department of State Services, DSS.
“The director-general, Lawal Daura just finished briefing President Muhammadu Buhari,” Garba Shehu, a spokesperson to the president said in a statement on Facebook.
He said that the negotiations were brokered by the International Red Cross and the Swiss government and will continue.
“The president welcomes the release of the girls but cautioned Nigerians to be mindful of the fact that more than 30,000 fellow citizens were killed via terrorism.
“Mr. Lawal Daura wants the girls to have some rest, with all of them very tired coming out of the process before he hands them over to the Vice President,Professor Yemi Osinbajo. The president takes off shortly on a trip to Germany for a state visit.
“The names of the released girls follows shortly,” the statement said.