3 dead, 4 hospitalized from carbon monoxide poisoning after running generator following Hurricane Irma | Nigeria Newspaper- Nigeria News| Naija News

15.9.17

3 dead, 4 hospitalized from carbon monoxide poisoning after running generator following Hurricane Irma

By

3 dead, 4 hospitalized from carbon monoxide poisoning after running generator following Hurricane Irma
A family in Orange County, Florida suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning after Hurricane Irma swept through the state, leaving three members of the family dead and four in the hospital.
An Orange County Sheriff’s deputy arrived at the home on Tuesday after a 911 call but was overwhelmed by the fumes inside the residence. Orange County Fire Rescue arrived and entered the home where they found two individuals inside were dead already. Another individual was treated outside of the home but was later pronounced dead at the scene.
Those who died are siblings Jan Lebron Diaz, 13; Kiara Lebron Diaz, 16; and their mother Desiree Diaz Molina, 34. Molina’s other son, 12-year-old Louis Lebron Diaz, who made the 911 call, is recovering at Florida Hospital in Orlando, along with three family friends from Puerto Rico, police say.
Police say a portable gas generator was found inside of the garage, which had been converted as an extension of the home, and was powering a refrigerator, a standalone freezer and two fans.
Neighbor, Maria Tuzzeo, said she was heartbroken by the deaths. She said she often saw the children playing outside the house.
She said: "You know these people. You know them. They’re from your neighborhood. You know how bad it is. You’re brought up with the kids. They go swimming at the pool. It’s just so sad."
The police deputy who was overwhelmed by the fumes was treated at the scene and is expected to recover.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Latest News